[clug] >2TB file systems...

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 05:14:33 GMT 2007

Andrew Janke wrote:
>   mkfs.xfs -L raid01 /dev/sda
>
> The unit in question is a 3Ware 9650SE-ML16 with 16 750G Seagates.  It
> is split into 2 x 8disk RAID 6 arrays (4.1 TB each)
>
> Have I missed something? Can this break more easily than with
> partitioning?

Unless you boot off it, it won't matter to the drives.  I've done it
myself with LVM, putting the PV on the raw disk rather than a
partition.  The only problem with that was when I needed a separate
partition, not under LVM; I couldn't then shrink the PV, resize the PV
partition, and put the new partition in.  But since AFAICS you're
neither booting off it nor ever needing to shuffle parts of its space
around, I don't see any problem.  There certainly weren't any problems
with using the PV-on-raw-drive setup.  Of course, I'm no expert... :-)

Have fun,

Paul