[clug] usb/serial help required

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Sat Jul 7 08:17:10 GMT 2007

On Saturday 07 July 2007 18:00, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I am trying to connect to my UPS from linux. It was on a windows machine
> which is now running under vmware on my linux ws.
>
> The windows software accepts a serial and a USB connection, however my
> ups model only has a USB cable which appears to be on a usb<->serial
> converter (see messages below).
>
> How do I create the serial device? I tried to load usbserial and play
> with its arguments but so far I could not get the required serial device,
> which I understand should be accessible with something like
> 	modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0f03 product=0x0001
> 	mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
> 	stty </dev/ttyUSB0
You shouldn't need to create them on any newish machine, because device nodes
are supposed to be created as required by the kernel (or perhaps some
user-space helper, I'm not that familiar with this).

> Connecting the UPS USB cable I see these messages:
>
> usb 4-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
> usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
> input: Ver 1.0 USB To RS232 Interface (V1.0) BaudRate 2400bps as
> /class/input/input26 input: USB HID v1.00 Gamepad [Ver 1.0 USB To RS232
> Interface (V1.0) BaudRate 2400bps] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2
That looks like the device is a being claimed by the HID driver, not the
usbserial driver.

>        bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
>        bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
>        bInterfaceProtocol      2 Mouse
>        iInterface              5 USB
>          HID Device Descriptor:
>            bLength                 9
>            bDescriptorType        33
>            bcdHID               1.00
>            bCountryCode            0 Not supported
>            bNumDescriptors         1
>            bDescriptorType        34 Report
>            wDescriptorLength      35
>           Report Descriptors:
>             ** UNAVAILABLE **
Given the descriptor, it looks like the kernel is doing the right thing.

I'm not sure you are going to be able to fix this without hacking the kernel.

Brad