[clug] usb/serial help required

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Sat Jul 7 08:00:18 GMT 2007

I am trying to connect to my UPS from linux. It was on a windows machine
which is now running under vmware on my linux ws.

The windows software accepts a serial and a USB connection, however my
ups model only has a USB cable which appears to be on a usb<->serial
converter (see messages below).

How do I create the serial device? I tried to load usbserial and play
with its arguments but so far I could not get the required serial device,
which I understand should be accessible with something like
	modprobe usbserial vendor=0x0f03 product=0x0001
	mknod /dev/ttyUSB0 c 188 0
	stty </dev/ttyUSB0

cheers
	Eyal

This is rh f7
kernel 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7-x86_64
	CONFIG_USB_SERIAL=m
	CONFIG_USB_SERIAL_GENERIC=y

Connecting the UPS USB cable I see these messages:

usb 4-2: new low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 5
input: Ver 1.0 USB To RS232 Interface (V1.0) BaudRate 2400bps as /class/input/input26
input: USB HID v1.00 Gamepad [Ver 1.0 USB To RS232 Interface (V1.0) BaudRate 2400bps] on usb-0000:00:1d.1-2

'lsusb -v' says
===============
Bus 004 Device 005: ID 0f03:0001
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.10
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x0f03
   idProduct          0x0001
   bcdDevice            0.01
   iManufacturer           1 Ver 1.0
   iProduct                2 USB To RS232 Interface (V1.0) BaudRate 2400bps
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           34
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          4 2400bps
     bmAttributes         0x80
     MaxPower              100mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           1
       bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Devices
       bInterfaceSubClass      1 Boot Interface Subclass
       bInterfaceProtocol      2 Mouse
       iInterface              5 USB
         HID Device Descriptor:
           bLength                 9