[clug] media center cases

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Sun Jul 1 12:47:05 GMT 2007

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007, Andrew Janke wrote:

>> Passively cooled power supply.
>
> Hold the phone!  Out of interest, which one?  Or is it one of the "fan
> normally off unless you give it some herbs" ones?  Last I read these

Well, here's the description from the order:
Antec Phantom 500W Fanless ATX Power Supply

It does, in fact, have a fan in it - but I've never heard it spin up (but
then, would I anyway?).

> things were really only OK up to about 350W.  And this is somewhat of
> a problem with a core 2 Quad, a few HDDs and a 7800GT!

Quite possibly.  OTOH, the Core-2s are supposed to be pretty stingy on the
power, and the HDDs don't really count.  The /video card/, OTOH :)  I
recollect putting a power meter on this machine and getting about 120W
(unloaded).

> Andrew Janke   (a.janke at gmail.com || http://a.janke.googlepages.com/)

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek.
pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au	      |   You need a bigger hammer.