[clug] media center cases

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 10:47:29 GMT 2007

On 7/1/07, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > As part of the media center I'm planning I'd like to purchase a decent media center case,
>
> Well, I wasn't looking at cases, but I was at the computer fair out at
> EPIC yesterday and was again amazed by how much low cost stuff is out
> there. The next one is at Woden CIT next Saturday so you could do
> worse than take a look.

If you just mean a commodity type case I find the Sonata II (Antec)
very good value for $$$.  Just make sure to use the rubber grommets
for HDD's and rear fan and use a replacement CPU fan (although the
factory Intel ones are very good now) and you should be good.

I note that the Sonata III is out now, no idea if it is any better though.

I have a std recipe for "Linux" computers at work that equates to:
Intel MB with 975 Chipset, Core 2 Quad, Sonata II, 4GB RAM, 7800
Gigabyte GT card (Dual DVI ports) and no fan and they are very quiet.
 I have no idea if the new "quiet" samsung HDD's are any quieter than
a Seagate but subjectively them seem so.