[clug] media center cases

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 11:01:40 GMT 2007

On 7/1/07, Andrew Janke <a.janke at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/1/07, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > As part of the media center I'm planning I'd like to purchase a decent media center case,
> >
> > Well, I wasn't looking at cases, but I was at the computer fair out at
> > EPIC yesterday and was again amazed by how much low cost stuff is out
> > there. The next one is at Woden CIT next Saturday so you could do
> > worse than take a look.
>
> If you just mean a commodity type case I find the Sonata II (Antec)
> very good value for $$$.  Just make sure to use the rubber grommets
> for HDD's and rear fan and use a replacement CPU fan (although the
> factory Intel ones are very good now) and you should be good.
>
> I note that the Sonata III is out now, no idea if it is any better though.
>
> I have a std recipe for "Linux" computers at work that equates to:
> Intel MB with 975 Chipset, Core 2 Quad, Sonata II, 4GB RAM, 7800
> Gigabyte GT card (Dual DVI ports) and no fan and they are very quiet.
>  I have no idea if the new "quiet" samsung HDD's are any quieter than
> a Seagate but subjectively them seem so.

PS: this presumes that you dont want the fancy knobs or are happy to
put them on a 5 1/4 faceplate or two as I have seen done...  However
re-reading you post would make me think that you want a "real" HTPC
case in which case I can recommend this one (also by Antec).

http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/73100/CASINGS_MEDIA_HOME_THEATRE_CASES/Antec/FUSION-BLACK.asp

Dont have a HTPC myself but helped a friend or two who do have them
and have this one.