[clug] A newbie question about FreeSBIE

Nathan O'Sullivan nathan.osullivan at mammothmedia.com.au
Wed Jan 17 11:05:30 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 20:50 +1100, Peter Anderson wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I know this is a *LINUX* User's Group but I have a question about
> FreeSBIE. FreeSBIE is a Live CD release of FreeBSD and I have been
> reading about FreeBSD (and PC-BSD in particular) over the holidays. When
> I saw a release notice about FreeSBIE I thought that it might be worth a
> try.

I've not used FreeSBIE, but "startx" is probably the command required.

> Two supplementaries: Is anyone using FreeBSD as a desktop environment?

The GUI software you will use is often identical in linux and BSD, but I
think general wisdom is that Linux has better driver support for
desktop-oriented peripherals and can often work better "out of the box".

Some linux distributions are particularly suitable for desktop use -
choose one of Fedora/OpenSuse/Ubuntu and I don't you can go too wrong.

> And is it worth the effort trying it out?

If you want to learn or just fiddle with a UNIX, sure. If you just want
a working desktop so you can get on with your computing, a linux
distribution is likely a better fit.

Regards
Nathan