[clug] fastest way to copy a fs

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Wed Jan 17 06:46:24 GMT 2007

On 17 Jan 2007, at 15:45, Richard Reynolds wrote:

>> Having the disks on different controllers  means the bottleneck is
>> halving the bandwidth of the PCI bus rather  than halving the
>> bandwidth of the drive controller.
> really only a bottleneck if the controller is half as fast as the
> PCI bus. 133MB/s is a hard game to catch with sustained reads/writes

Exactly my point - even a USB 2.0 controller will have idle time when
it's only controlling one drive. Strictly speaking the bottleneck
becomes the drive itself (most drives I've played with max out at
20MB/s off the platters). One you have more than that "off-the-
platter" bandwidth from source to destination, you have very little
room left for optimising transfer speed.

> feel free to, but benchmarks are published for many of these
> already google turned up a ton of results that seemed right on.

Can you share the search? I've looked for "optimising file system
transfer" and "fastest way to copy one disk to another" but they
don't turn up anything interesting...

Alex