[clug] broadcast multicast networking

Brad Hards bradh at frogmouth.net
Wed Jan 10 07:43:23 GMT 2007

On Wednesday 10 January 2007 12:38, Hugh Fisher wrote:
> I suggest picking a multicast address in the 239.x.x.x range
> and sending UDP packets to that. If you want to be dynamic
> and cooperative about it, use ZeroConf AKA Rendezvous AKA
> Bonjour to obtain the address, otherwise just make one up.
You can't get a zeroconf IP address in the multicast range. It is always
169.254.x.y (where x isn't 0 or 255).

The IETF zeroconf working group did have zeroconf setup for multicast as a
work item, but since multicast basically has to be able to handle duplicates
anyway, it didn't really have any way forward. There was some work done (to
the internet draft level) but the whole working group was so disfunctional
that it was a miracle that the ad-hoc address mechanism ever made it to RFC.

Brad