[clug] apt naming convention

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Tue Jan 9 21:44:20 GMT 2007

On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 06:14:13PM +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
>>> Some others make sense to me like postfix-mysql and postfix-ldap,
>>> apf-client and apf-server, but in general the naming convention seems
>>> strange to me. There is apache-common, apache2-common and
>>> apache2.2-common
>>> and I'm confused.

>> That one's easy. Those're the common files for Apache 1.3, Apache 2.0
>> and Apache 2.2.
> Yeah, I guessed they were different versions but just plucked it out as an
> example of there being so many.

>> They basically provide a package modules can depend on to say "I
>> implement this ABI". This allows apt to hold back upgrading your
>> apache from 2.0 to 2.2 until all the modules you have installed
>> can upgrade simultaneously, preventing partial-upgrade breakages.
> I see.. so that means a full 2.2 is on the way then, at some stage..
> although the repository is frozen, maybe.

Etch already has Apace 2.2.3, happily.

>> Sorry for the length of reply, I've had my head buried in Debian
>> RC-bug hunting all evening.
> No, thanks I appreciate it. I'm used to a Gentoo world where we don't have
> this kind of issue because I can specify any version I want and it's
> always the same package name (and then USE flags let me build in support
> for whatever I want, such as mysql or ldap etc), but I'm getting there :)

Yes, as far as package management goes, the strictures of dpkg and
expectations to do things "right" make dpkg a unique and beautiful
snowflake compared to things like ports, portage and rpm. ^_^

(Not that the others don't do things right, they just don't do them
"Debian right". ^_^)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/