[clug] apt naming convention

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Sun Jan 7 10:48:29 GMT 2007

Chris,
  the *-common packages contain common files for the variants of the package.
  Generally you dont really select the *common packages directly, they just get
  selected to fill dependencies. For example vim-gtk is what you might want, it
  will pull in whatever common packages are needed.

  apache2 is a different program than apache. You generally dont select
  libraries directly unless you want to compile something which needs them (in
  that case you need to choose the *-dev version). Generally they will be
  pulled in to satisfy dependencies.

  Usually there will be a meta-package which pulls in whatever is needed. For
  example gnome-desktop-environment pulls in heaps of stuff but doesnt have
  much in itself.

  Hope this makes sense, as im not really a debian developer just a user, so i
  might stand corrected.

  Michael.