[clug] rsync question

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Jan 2 23:29:32 GMT 2007

Last night I fetched the latest Knoppix DVD. In the past I would
copy the old one to the new one, then rsync. This should reduce
the traffic as much of the new release is unchanged files from the
old.However, this is not what I saw this time, here is the log:

opening tcp connection to ftp.iinet.net.au port 873
opening connection using --server --sender -vvlogDtpr . knoppix/dvd/KNOPPIX_V5.1.0DVD-2006-12-30-EN.iso.md5
[ISP message trimmed]
receiving file list ...
delta-transmission enabled
WARNING: KNOPPIX_V5.1.0DVD-2006-12-30-EN.iso failed verification -- update discarded (will try again).

sent 1714064 bytes  received 8572946470 bytes  339435.92 bytes/sec
total size is 4313311232  speedup is 0.50

My interpretation is that the full sync completed, then a check
found the sync was incorrect and the sync was repeated (or a full
download was done?).

Is this the case? Is this failure due to the non uniqueness of the

Luckily this was fetched from the ISP's "free" area which does not
count towards my quota.

Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal at eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/>
	attach .zip as .dat