[clug] Re: MtM - companies using foss? - updated

Chris Smart chris at kororaa.org
Fri Feb 23 13:35:50 GMT 2007

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I thought it might be helpful to
post what I have already which might give a feel for exactly what I'm
after. Here's the new draft content. Please let me know if you have any
further suggestions along the lines previously posted. Thanks!

"Linux and open source technology is used just about everywhere these
days. Of the top 500 supercomputers in the world, over 80% run Linux.
Many of the computers that run the Internet are also using Linux. You
might not realise that when you search for information on Google or
purchase a product from Amazon you are using Linux computers! Many other
well known names such as Ebay and Yahoo are built on Linux too."

"While Linux has its roots in a purely voluntary environment, today
Linux has top-notch professional support from many of the major
companies in the IT industry such as Cisco, Dell, IBM, Intel, HP,
Novell, Oracle, Sun Microsystems and others. Some of these companies
also sponsor projects and hire open source developers so they can work
on Linux and open source technology full time."

"Hollywood started using Linux in 1997 for the film Titanic. Film
studios Disney Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony, ILM and others now primarily use
Linux and since 2003 almost every movie you enjoy at the cinema has been
created with the help of Linux. Some of the blockbusters created using
Linux before 2003 when using Linux became the norm include; Antz, Cats
and Dogs, Chicken Run, Dr. Dolittle, Enemy at the Gates, Final Fantasy,
Gladiator, Harry Potter, Incredible Hulk, Lord of the Rings, Men in
Black, Pirates of the Caribbean, Planet of the Apes, Shrek, Star Trek,
Star Wars, Stuart Little, The Matrix and many more."

"As mentioned above, many IT companies support and use Linux. However
there are also specifically Linux based companies such as Red Hat,
Canonical, Mandriva, Novell and Xandros who release their own
professional Linux distributions and provide commercial support for them."

Cheers,
Chris