[clug] Drive-By Pharming Attack Could Hit Home Networks

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Feb 22 14:45:23 GMT 2007

On Thu, Feb 22, 2007 at 11:43:13PM +1100, David Collett wrote:
> I think many routers already do this (no admin on wireless interface
> and/or wireless disabled out of the box). It doesn't stop *this* attack
> though, thats the whole reason this one is more interesting, it works
> from *your* computer over your *wired* connection.

I indeed recently bought a wireless access point that worked precisly
this way (no wireless unless password changed). However, its default IP
address didn't match the existing network and I forgot to change it, so
right now the device is totally inaccessable without network
reconfiguration. I use a one-time network change on my laptop to do the
setup.

Now, this isn't deleiberate, but it is pretty secure :)

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/