[clug] Drive-By Pharming Attack Could Hit Home Networks

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 19:49:32 GMT 2007

On 2007/Feb/17, at 11:19 PM, Michael Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 17, 2007 at 03:41:44PM +0100, Kim Holburn wrote:
>> If a javascript got the router interface opened in an invisible
>> iframe and somehow got an enter or a click to the iframe after the
>> password manager filled in the details?
>
> Kim,
>   Thats the whole point of the javascript security model (if it
> works that is).

I seem to remember that java was designed with security in mind but I
believe javascript came out of netscape as an afterthought very
basically based on the idea of java and has grown rather like topsy
ever since (and been embraced and extended ;-).  There are different
javascripts in different browsers and none have a good security
reputation.

>   JS is not supposed to have access to windows or iframes which
> open to a
>   different domain from where it came from, otherwise you could do
> same with
>   internet banking sites, or any other log in pages.

No-one seems to have thought of this scam yet but I expect you will
see it.

javascript can write just about what it wants into the current page.
You  can create a whole page with javascript or rewrite one.  How
could the browser really test for this?  JS can hijack all the links
on a page, it can create a link that will appear to a cgi script that
someone filled in a correct username and password and changed
settings.  If it can't open a page from another site it can entice
you to open it and make the page look like something else.  It can
make a page that gets all it's resources from another site.
Javascript is not secure in hostile hands.

As we do more and more business and system administration on-line and
through browsers and use more and more AJAX this sort of thing is
going to become more dangerous.

>   From time to time people find vulnerabilities in this model, but
> they are
>   more implementation problems than fundamental problems with the
> security
>   model.

Hmmm...  I think there are fundamental flaws in javascript.  I still
use it though.

--
Kim Holburn
IT Network & Security Consultant