[clug] Getting an OLPC XO-1 laptop

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Wed Dec 19 23:09:43 GMT 2007

A while ago I expressed a wish to get a laptop through the laptop giving
project http://laptopgiving.org/en/index.php

The catch to the laptop giving is that it only ships to US addresses.
So I looked at a few shipping companies and VPost seemed to do the best
deal,
http://www.vpostasia.com/australia/vpostusa/usa_shipcharge.htm
They also have a 20% discount up to December 25th.
I'm not sure what happens if you have multiple boxes in the same order,
their website wasn't clear but I suspect each box is treated individually.

So the maths I worked out was:
XO-1 $400 USD
XO Shipping $25 USD
VPost shipping (2kg) $34 USD
Less VPost discount (20%) -$6.8 USD
Total $452 USD
1.146 AUD/USD = $518 AUD
+ 2% credit card bonus = $529 AUD

These are rough figures, I'm budgeting $550 with an upper bound of
$600.  The shipping is a guess and there may be taxes thrown in.

I'm not organising a public group buy as there isn't actually any
advantage to it, both the XO and VPost shipping are constant per box.

However if you are interested I've figured out all the fiddly details
for you.  Now you just have to go get it.
I'm planning on getting one for myself and at least one for a friend.

David