[clug] Looking to buy a GPS

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Aug 29 09:24:48 GMT 2007

Michael Still <mikal at stillhq.com> wrote:
> Maps, or satellite imagery (which might be better than maps for dirt tracks
> anyway)?

Maps are usually clearer, easier to read, less cluttered (and smaller).
Small trails are often covered by the tree canopy or aren't visible at
satellite resolution.

> My Nokia N800 can talk cell phoney stuff to the internets via a bluetooth
> connection to my cell phone. There is an app called MaemoMapper which will
> record tracks, and display the current location / track on the N800. It
> downloads the maps / satellite information from the internet using the cell
> phone.

That looks like neat software. I'll keep it in mind. I don't have a
mobile phone though, so I'd need to buy an N800, a Bluetooth GPS
receiver *and* a Bluetooth capable mobile phone. :(

> It also supports pre-downloading the imagery if you are going to know that
> you'll be offline during the trip, and know where you will be.

That's probably a better option for me, no phone and all.

> It doesn't support directions in a particularly nice manner, but that might
> not be a big deal for the kind of touring you're doing.

It's not. I don't think directions cope well with the "What's up this
road? Let's go see!" navigation style.
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au