[clug] some Firefox questions

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Aug 28 12:47:14 GMT 2007

Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> I have a few questions about configuring Firefox. I have RH/F9 here,
> Firefox 2.0.
>
> I had a look at about:config and could not clearly see it there.
>
> 1) I want to get the download prompt when I click a link to a non html
> filetype,
>    and never launch an application (I will then configure some application
>    helpers myself). For example, pdf files now launch a viewer and I
> want to
>    stop this. My preferences show that no file types are configured.

After some suggestions on the list, My solution to this was to edit
my profile mime configuration file:

	~/.mozilla/firefox/4apxqcci.default/mimeTypes.rdf

locate the relevant section (e.g. the 'pdf' type):

   <RDF:Description RDF:about="urn:mimetype:handler:application/pdf"
                    NC:alwaysAsk="false"
                    NC:saveToDisk="false"
                    NC:useSystemDefault="false"
                    NC:handleInternal="false">
     <NC:externalApplication RDF:resource="urn:mimetype:externalApplication:application/pdf"/>
   </RDF:Description>

and change it to say:
                    NC:alwaysAsk="true"

--