[clug] some Firefox questions

Eyal Lebedinsky eyal at eyal.emu.id.au
Tue Aug 28 11:16:05 GMT 2007

Nope, still gets the decorated one. However, it is not always the same.

It seems to look the name up, and if it fails (or fails to connect)
then it tries to decorate the name (which I want to stop).

I tried to access 'e1' and 'e5', both described in my DNS, both having
a proper local IP), and both decorated names actually exist (www.e[15].com).
Neither has a web server.

The first correctly fails as inaccessible while the second attempts
the decorated name. Naturally my proxy has a rule to block these addresses.

Go figure. I hoped that there is an option to 'never change the host
and filename' but allow to default the protocol.

Kim Holburn wrote:
> I find adding the full URL should do that ie: http://e7
>
> Does that work?
>
> On 2007/Aug/28, at 12:46 PM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
>
>> Kim Holburn wrote:

>>> It's not in about:config it's about MIME handling.
>>> In Firefox 1 there was a mime extension.  It doesn't work in Firefox
>>> 2.  Preferences->Content->Configure how firefox handles certain types
>>> of file ?
>>> That said there are 2 separate issues.  When you click on a link that
>>> has an extension that extension could mean anything to the server, it
>>> is defined in the server.  The client is told by the first line of
>>> response from the server what mime type the URL actually is, then the
>>> file follows.  I forget the exact format of this but it's something
>>> like:
>>> "html/plain\n\n"