[clug] [OT] why "Do Not Call" register?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Mon Aug 27 05:19:05 GMT 2007

On 23/08/2007, at 21:10 , Sam Couter wrote:

> Come on, I know you read Slashdot. You have to have read the nazi
> posts
> about this being an incorrect use of the phrase "beg the question"!

I blame my English teacher in 1984. But yes, strictly speaking
"begging the question" means to include the conclusion as part of the
supporting statements of an argument.

One could even drum up an operational definition of begging the
question showing how the argument relies on the conclusion being
correct, even though such a definition is not really correct because
that's not the way it's commonly used. And after all, the common use
of a phrase is the correct one because that's how it's most often used.

Alex