[clug] [OT] why "Do Not Call" register?

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 04:06:09 GMT 2007

On 8/23/07, Alex Satrapa <grail at goldweb.com.au> wrote:
> On 23/08/2007, at 11:51 , Robert Edwards wrote:
>
> > If you do have caller-ID ...
>
> Question for the list: do any of you have Caller ID enabled on a
> landline, that isn't costing you a monthly fee? If so, who is your
> provider?

Nope, my VoIP account has it for free though.

I only have a home line as I have to for ADSL!

Mind you I think far far too much effort is put into don't call lists
and the likes when it is plain that there will always be those who
dont abide by the rules. I much prefer to just let them (the
telemarketers) know in a subtle way that this method of marketing does
have its downfalls.  eg: answering and then asking them to wait while
I get my credit card and them promptly going back to dinner.  Leave it
on speaker phone for extra entertainment.

Most give up after about 2-5 minutes.  But hey, its their calling $$
and its their time they are wasting.  Yes I know its childish, yes I
know I am punishing the poor sod in the calling centre, but I do get a
perverse joy out of it. And heck if they are on the phone for 5
minutes of silence with me that's one less person that they call that
night.

After a while with each new number (we have shifted a lot) I seem to
get on some hidden "don't call list" as I never get calls any more. :(

I miss them