[clug] Installing Linux

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Aug 23 01:59:05 GMT 2007

On 8/23/07, David Tulloh <david at tulloh.id.au> wrote:
> Automatix is considered "actively dangerous to systems" by the Ubuntu
> guys.  http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
> Having read some of the things that it does I know that I'm not going to
> go anywhere near it.

Agreed. I have tried it (some months ago) and found that it stuffed
many things up.

> You can get most of the same benefits by using a unofficial repository
> and sticking with apt goodness.

Here is a more ubuntu-friendly alternative, medibuntu:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

And since things like XGL 3Dness and Sun Java are easier to find in
official repositories now, there's much less need for taking risks
with stuff like automatix.

--
MC