[clug] Installing Linux

David Tulloh david at tulloh.id.au
Thu Aug 23 01:18:23 GMT 2007

Pilcher, Fred wrote:
> I've just discovered the joys if Automatix for (K)Ubuntu:
>
> http://www.getautomatix.com/
>
> It makes installing things like multimedia support incredibly simple.

Automatix is considered "actively dangerous to systems" by the Ubuntu
guys.  http://mjg59.livejournal.com/77440.html
Having read some of the things that it does I know that I'm not going to
go anywhere near it.

You can get most of the same benefits by using a unofficial repository
and sticking with apt goodness.  Under Debian I use
debian-multimedia.org I assume that there is an Ubuntu equivalent, or
maybe you could use the Debian one.

David