[clug] [OT] why "Do Not Call" register?

Robert Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 23 00:31:55 GMT 2007

Whilst we are on the topic of "off-topic" posts, I thought I'd
fly a flag, so to speak.

Seems to me that the "Do Not Call" register (in the news recently
because some naughty phone marketer is ignoring it) is set up all
wrong.

Seems to me that the Dept. of Communications should require every
organisation wanting to use unsolicited phonecalls to register their
numbers onto a database and require them to enable Caller-ID (this
would include political parties and other currently "exempt"
organisations). Any organisation found not to comply could then be
prosecuted.

I could download the database each week/month, or query it in real-time,
as calls come in. Then I can choose which unsolicited phonecalls I
want to take and which I want to time out, or give an engaged tone.
And I don't need to register my number with some government database.

So, to get the ball rolling, I guess I need to set up such a database.
Something along the lines of www.freedb.org or similar. As people with
caller ID (and not registered on the Do Not Call database) receive
unsolicited phonecalls, they can enter the number and organisation into
the database using a web page.

Once it is up and running, it can be taken to the (then) responsible
minister and a case made for requiring proper registration of the
numbers.

There is some risk that some organisations utilise common numbers,
and also that some may block caller ID, but it would still be worth it
as a starting point.

Anyone got any thoughts on this proposal?

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.