[clug] Installing Linux

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 04:05:27 GMT 2007

> I use it for apt updates of Ubuntu and while I have noticed that it
> tends to lag the ubuntu.org repositories for new content, it's so
> *fast* that I usually forgive it.

<tick!>  for fast.

I run a local ubuntu and debian mirror (5+ machines installed with
FAI) and use debmirror to do it, thus I first sync from mirror.aarnet
and then update against mirror.pacific.net.au perhaps I shall swap the
pacific.net.au one for mirror.linux.org.au given that it is in ANU...

---

script to mirror:
---
#! /bin/sh

arch=i386,amd64
dist=feisty
dest=/export_mirror

# debmirror options
opts="--ignore-release-gpg --ignore-missing-release
--ignore-small-errors --passive --nosource"

host=mirror.aarnet.edu.au
echo "------------------ mirror for $dist from $host ------------------"
debmirror $opts --progress \
          --getcontents \
          --method=ftp \
          --host=$host \
          --root=pub/ubuntu/archive \
          --dist=$dist,$dist-updates,$dist-security,$dist-backports,$dist-proposed
\
          --arch=$arch \
          --section=main,multiverse,universe,restricted \
          $dest/$dist

host=mirror.pacific.net.au
echo "------------------ mirror for $dist from $host ------------------"
debmirror $opts --progress \