[clug] tomtom one

Stephen Gibson stg121 at rsphymail.anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 2 00:09:01 GMT 2007

> So I'm surprised that in this discussion, no one has mentioned the
> proprietariness of the underlying map data yet!  I'd encourage you all
> to have a peek at the openstreetmap project.

There is also "shonkey maps" for Garmin GPS:

 http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2525

which uses a more sophisticated approach.

The 1:250000 series of topographic maps, available in digital format
from the Commonwealth mapping agency, that cover all of Australia,
were converted to Garmin proprietary format.

They contain all the detail, including contour lines
etc, of the original topographic maps.

Steve.