[clug] GPS and temperature

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 13:25:04 GMT 2007

During GPS discussions this evening I made a comment about temperature
and oscillator stability in GPS receivers.

Now, I know my etrex cares about temperature. If I put it into service
mode via UP + Page + power on, I get a look at all sorts of internal
bits including the output of its internal temp sensor.

So I had a bit of a look online and pretty well every GPS chipset out
there is keen to boast about how good its temperature compensation is.
Seems it's used to make the internal clock more accurate and speed up
the process of acquiring an initial fix.

So I wasn't entirely dreaming. :-)

--
MC