[clug] April Canberra Linux Users Group meeting

Andrew andrew at incanberra.com.au
Wed Apr 25 00:17:24 GMT 2007

Chris,

I have never been to a clug meeting, I just read the list.  Anyway, I
could do a talk about OpenStreetMap, which I contribute to, tomorrow or
in the future.  OpenStreetMap seeks to be to map data what Wikipedia is
to encyclopedia's.  Street location data is collected by contributors
with gps, or from Yahoo aerial photography under an agreement with
Yahoo.  Pretty much any other feature data can be put in, as
contributors desire, all data is (currently) under a Creative Commons
license.  In Canberra we have quite a lot of data, but there is an awful
lot left to do.   See:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/
http://www.openstreetmap.org/index.html?lat=-35.2968930777677&lon=149.117644&zoom=11

Try zooming into north Canberra, and changing to the "Osmarender" view
(the + at the top right of the map).  For north Canberra there is almost
complete street line work, but virtually none of it is tagged with names
or other attributes.

Andrew.