[clug] "Trusting" a remote machine booting from a CD

Michael Cohen michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au
Mon Apr 23 00:03:23 GMT 2007

Tony,

You are trying to do the impossible - millions of dollars have gone into
developing similar drm schemes for xbox, ps2, and even windows vista. They have
all failed. (Not to mention their questionable motives...)

The root of the problem is that you are trying to control someone elses
machine. In particular your users are untrusted. They have all the advantages -
physical access, and network access.

Without security enforced on the hardware (i.e. lock it in a thick metal box)
you cant control what someone else can do with it.

To come close (if this application does not warrant someone to reveng the
hardware) you can use a smart card to authenticate, but that will not stop
someone from modifying the software, it just will allow the right people to
authenticate. (i.e. someone cant copy the cd and pop onto your network - unless
they also copy the smart card).

At the end of the day if you cant trust your users, you have a bigger problem.

Michael