[clug] Ubuntu 7.04

Peter Anderson peter.anderson at internode.on.net
Fri Apr 20 08:56:47 GMT 2007

Colleagues,

Just a very quick update. I downloaded Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) last
night and installed it today on my test PC. Wow! This is really very
nice. While its a little early for a thorough review, it just seems to
look and work very well. Two quick praise points:

    * My test machine is a five year old Toshiba laptop and this is the
      best graphics performance "out of the box" of any distribution I
      have tried on this machine before. So far without any adjustment
      fonts and lines are very sharp - dare I say, as good as Windows XP!!!
    * The "Add/Remove" menu function has a huge number of applications -
      many more than previously. It includes JRE 6, Amaya, FileZilla,
      and many more.

I am, so far, very impressed with Feisty.

This install was written over another very interesting install. I had
PC-BSD previously installed. Now that is also a very interesting OS.
While the software repository is not that large, installing software is
easier than any other OS. However, the lack of software and difficulty
with some hardware make it (a very interesting) work in progress.

Regards,
Peter
--

Peter Anderson

E: peter.anderson at internode.on.net
W: http://www.users.on.net/~peter.anderson/
<http://www.users.on.net/%7Epeter.anderson/>
P: +61 (0)2 4472 2274
M: +61 (0)418 249 648

There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more perilous to
conduct, or more uncertain in its success, than to take the lead in the
introduction of a new order of things — Niccolo Machiavelli, /The
Prince/, ch. 6