[clug] 'Windows Installers' - Debian and Ubuntu

Jim Watson jim at amarooas.com.au
Wed Apr 18 04:36:58 GMT 2007

steve jenkin wrote:
> In <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution>, there is this piece:
>
> "Installation through an existing platform
>
> "Most recently, a Windows installer for Ubuntu Linux was developed. This
> allows for one to download and install a Linux distribution without the
> need for a hard drive partition or the need for an installation CD, thus
> allowing for the option to easily dual boot between either operating
> system on the same hard drive without losing data. This was followed by
> the release of a Windows installer for Debian. Neither projects have
> been expressly endorsed by the vendors of either distribution as of
> January 2007."
>
> Anyone in CLUG actually *tried* this stuff firsthand??
> Is it bogus, or does it work well?
>
> regards

  I tried something like this 10 years ago.
I vaguely recall linux booted by running a windows executable file,
maybe an early lilo?
Also the umsdos file system could be shared by linux and windows on the
same machine
My first try with linux was some monkey something which ran linux from a
single floppy ;)

jim