[clug] Re: linux Digest, Vol 52, Issue 4

Sam Couter sam at couter.id.au
Wed Apr 4 13:00:34 GMT 2007

Ryan Hayes <hayes.ryan at gmail.com> wrote:
> For those wondering how to get rid of your tracks, and money is not an
> issue. Buy some thermite, a magnesium fuse, and away you go. That data is
> toast.

You can make a passable substitute for thermite easily and cheaply from
powdered aluminium and iron oxide. You can light it with a blow-torch if
you're lucky or with an oxy-acetylene torch with little effort. Make sure
you've got it all contained in a ceramic crucible and be ready to jump
back when it ignites - the temperature during combustion is a few
thousand degrees. It's non-explosive, but it might spit and pop a bit
from gas bubbles and such. You'll be left with a large chunk of hot
iron and not much else.

[ I think I mentioned this around five years ago on this same list -
you think I've made it onto the terrorist watch lists yet? ]
Sam Couter         |  mailto:sam at couter.id.au