[clug] FC6 kernel problems with DVB-T device

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Tue Apr 3 00:53:20 GMT 2007

Paul wrote:
> I have upgraded to one of the latest releases of Redhat FC6 Kernels
> and after the reboot my DVB-T card stops working, so I reboot back to
> my previous kernel and device is now working...
> So what I want to know is how do  I report/resolve problems with this
> kernel for DVB devices?
> Do I post somewhere in Fedora/redhat forums or go to the VideoLinux
> developers?

The key here is to work out what's gone missing.  The big link in the
chain is the /dev/dvb/* devices - if they're not there then MythTV
starts complaining.  In order to hack around this I found a ghastly
kludge which I use on my own MythTV machine - basically it nukes that
directory and creates the devices from scratch.  It's at
http://tangram.dnsalias.net/~paulway/dvbt_path_setup - I just run it
form /etc/rc.d/rc.local, restarting the mythbackend service afterward to
get it to recognise the correct devices.

Theoretically there's a way to get udev to recognise the devices
correctly and set up the correct directories.  Who knows, it might even
be working now and that script is just obliterating udev's good work.
It's just another thing that I have to do some day when I have time.

Of course, this may not be your problem.  But trying to work out where
the 'missing link' is will be what to do here.

HTH,

Paul