[clug] ATX system fan connectors

Andrew Janke a.janke at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 22:09:46 GMT 2007

> > If you are after a completely software solution to the problem, then I
> > think that you probably want to install lm-sensors which includes a
> > shellscript called fancontrol. Once installed you use pwmconfig to
> > calibrate the fans (it adjusts the voltage and looks for which fan
> > slowed down, then it goes through a bunch of voltages asking you when
> > the fan stops completely, and when it starts again).
>
> This sounds cool, and close to what I want (although I assumed the BIOS
> did all of that). What controller hardware is used to control the speed
> of the fans?

fancontrol really is a "suck it and see". The needed hardware is in
the motherboard itself (presuming it exists! -- a lot of cheaper MB's
skip this stuff). It is also true that most modern BIOS's do support
this but usually only for the CPU fan.

I know for certain that most Intel based ASUS boards do work and a lot
of AMD based ones dont!