[clug] Trump Telstra once and for all

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Fri Sep 29 11:50:48 GMT 2006

On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 02:31:09PM +1000, Paul Wayper wrote:
> Stephen Jenkin wrote:
>> Happened to look at Internodes' ADSL2 availability pages:
>> <http://cgi.internode.on.net/cgi-bin/dsl-coverage-table?carrier=Agile>

> Belconnen has been this way for about three weeks by my guess, so
> theoretically they're not even started.

> This discussion has spurred me to finally pull my finger out; I'm going
> to write up an email to the various major ADSL2 providers (Internode,
> iiNet, Extetel, TPG) to suggest the following idea (put simply):

[trim]

> So why don't they do it?

Your posting reminded me of the Wholesale Industry Group that Paul Budde
has been putting together, to try and address exactly this sort of
issue.

The paper on his website [1] about the industry group itself is a US$44
download, but there are other papers such as [2] which are free to
download, which should give you a fairly useful background.

They've got US$44 one on ADSL2+ as well. [3]

Attending the _meetings_ of the group is in the order of $800, so I
haven't been to one (that and the ISP I administer isn't a major player
in the national market. ^_^) but I do get the email invitation/agenda
every so often.

The group's not actually a commercial arrangement, but it's expected
(and already happening) that companies in the group will go on to
form commercial arrangements amonst themselves.

The basic goal is to find a division between wholesale and retail
operations, which comes out sounding a lot like TransACT's model
(TransACT are in the WIG, I'm told). They're also trying to avoid
infrastructure duplication and inefficiencies, particularly in the use
of the Broadband Connect [4] DCITA program.

Last time I looked (I've been busy...) they were getting along well with
the first part of the project, which is a mapping of the broadband
infrastructure in Australia, to identify places going wanting. They've
also been working with local councils to identify councils that are
"ready to go" with broadbanding their area.

All in all, I think it looks like a good project.

[1] http://www.budde.com.au/Reports/Contents/Australia-Wholesale-Access-Network-Industry-Cooperation-3876.html
[2] http://www.budde.com.au/Reports/Contents/Australia-Broadbanding-Regional-Australia-2795.html
[3] http://www.budde.com.au/Reports/Contents/Australia-Broadband-DSLAMs-and-ADSL2-3869.html
[4] http://www.dcita.gov.au/tel/broadband_connect

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/