[clug] Grub trouble

Ian darkstarsword at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 07:55:07 GMT 2006

<snip>
> This gets me to the GRUB boot menu and I can select Kubuntu or XP now.
> All is well, except XP doesn't seem to be able to see the USB keyboard
> or mouse while Kubuntu has no trouble with them. Oh well, that's no
> great loss. :-)

Ha ha! So I'm not the only one! With me windows randomly decides
whether it want's to detect them on boot, especially before logging in
(can make typing the password a tad annoying). I find that unplugging
and replugging them in usually does the trick. Also avoid running them
through an external USB hub - my keyboard fails repeatedly if I do
that, windows can't use it at all and linux can't always use the
multimedia keys (at least linux still initialises the main keyboard
device so I can type even if I can't adjust the mixer).

-Ian

--
On the day *I* go to work for Microsoft, faint oinking sounds will be
heard from far overhead, the moon will not merely turn blue but