[clug] Grub trouble

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 06:56:09 GMT 2006

Good afternoon.

We have some Shuttle XPC SN25 machines and rather nice they are too.
They dual boot Kubuntu and XP with GRUB handling bootloader duties.

Since we have had a few SATA drive failures, we decided to keep an
image on hand to resurrect any machines after a hard drive incident.

So I made a boot CD with network drivers and Symantec Ghost 8 on it
(ghost is already used for drive imaging here). I carefully
handcrafted a nice SN25 machine with its Linux and Windows partitions
and all the apps and config we need. I booted it with my new boot CD
and slurped a drive image across the network to one of our RAIDs.

Next, up with a Shuttle SN25 ready for imaging, boot from the CD and
fire up Ghost. Restore the image from the network and all goes well.
Reboot the box and...

A screen full of GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB. And nothing else.

I can boot with a Kubuntu live CD and mount /dev/sda2 where the grub
stuff in /boot *looks* okay, but I feel I am missing the point here.

The Shuttle boxes are identical (as far as I can tell) yet the
restored image has GRUB issues. I have tried Google and the GRUB wiki
and while I see that this is a pretty common failure mode for GRUB, I
can't see a cause or solution that relates to my situation.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
MC