[clug] share speaker through bluetooh or network?

Mathew Meins mathew at aurora.vm.bytemark.co.uk
Mon Sep 18 08:52:09 GMT 2006

On 14/9/06 7:37 AM, "Kim Holburn" <kim at holburn.net> wrote:

> Last Tuesday in the gadget section at the back of the Australian IT
> section they had 2 pairs of bluetooth headphones.  They had a small
> bluetooth dongle you could plug into your TV and you could pair the
> headphones with your phone and laptop as well at the same time.  If
> it could be done with headphones it could be done with a bluetooth
> sound card.  Is there such a thing?  I just got a USB sound card
> recently.  It's like a USB headset but has jacks to plug in your own
> headphones.

Sound cards and phones use two different Bluetooth profiles, Advanced Audio
Distribution Profile (A2DP) and Headset Profile (HSP). The main difference
between them is that HSP provides signaling to answer and hang up calls etc,
and it uses a codec that sounds lousy. A2DP, on the other hand, sounds
pretty decent.

Do these allow you to pair with both devices using A2DP, or only one device
with A2DP, and the other with HSP?