[clug] MythTV on TransACT

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Thu Sep 14 11:08:18 GMT 2006

On Thu, Sep 14, 2006 at 04:08:06PM +1000, Alex Osborne wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:

>> Nice work on that howto. I've got a fuller channel-list on my laptop,
>> if you want it.

> Yeah that would be useful, cheers.

Indented lines don't appear to have anything flowing over them...

1	=> 91		TransACT
2				ABC
3				SBS
4				VOD
5				Cartoon Network
6	=> 96		Disney	<== Something tricky here
7				Prime
8				Anytime
9				WIN
10				TEN
11				CNN
12				BBC World
13				CNBC
14				Bloomberg
15				TCM
16				DW
17				SBS World News
18				Laoning TV
19				TV5
	20
	21
22				ABC2
23				ESPN
24				FOX Footy
25				News Asia
26				Boomerang
27				Discovery Real Time
28				Animal Planet
29				Discovery Travel and Living
30				Discovery Science
31				Discovery Home & Health
32				National Geographic
33				Adventure One
	34
	35
36				SoundTrack Channel
37				MCM Top
38				Fashion TV
39				E!
	40
41				EWTN
42				Australian Christian Channel
43				Committees
44				House of Reps
45				Sentate
	46
	47
48				ERT Sat
	49
50				ChannelVision

>> Also, are you still seeing the channel-intermingling problems with the
>> patch?
> The patch allows you to try to receive two channels, without it'll just
> error with port already in use. I'm not sure, I've been busy with other
> things and haven't played with MythTV too much recently. That
> channel-intermingling thing could well be partially due to the i3 being
> there as well and making one of the streams fixed on a particular channel.

>> Once I get MythTV going, I'm thinking it'd be better to have a
>> multicast IP tuner that can change channels, and then you could have two
>> with different source IP addresses which will keep them from
>> interfering, maybe.

> Yeah, it's really using the same port numbers rather than the IPs that
> was confusing the thing. As you're suggesting running it through a
> proxy/router of some kind that put each channel on a separate port could
> well do the trick.

I wouldn't suggest a router, just put multiple IPs on the interface
you're receiving from. Port binding is by IP address (or _ALL) as well
as port, so a udp listener bound to 192.168.0.40:8208 won't interfere
with a udp listener bound to 192.168.0.41:8208.

I'm not clear exactly how SO_REUSE is keeping the streams seperated,
unless the linux multicast code is smarter than I think it is and
successfully distributing the packets to the right bound sockets...

Mind you, last time I looked at multicast reception at such a low
level was Kernel 2.4, so they might have improved it since then. ^_^

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/