[clug] MythTV on TransACT

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Wed Sep 13 23:29:00 GMT 2006

On Wed, Sep 06, 2006 at 11:53:23PM +1000, Alex Osborne wrote:
> Yikes, I've discovered I'm rather lousy (and not to mention slow) at
> writing howto-style documentation. ;-) I hadn't tried one before.
> Anyway, here you go:

> HOWTO: MythTV with TransACT
> http://mugofgrog.com/docs/transmyth/

> I've included at the end, the patch that gets simultaneous recording
> sort-of working. It also could be useful if you're trying to use VLC or
> something else on port 8208.

> Mikal: You are, of course, quite welcome to use any bits of this you
> like. But my writing is hardly book-worthy. ;-)

Nice work on that howto. I've got a fuller channel-list on my laptop,
if you want it.

Also, are you still seeing the channel-intermingling problems with the
patch? Once I get MythTV going, I'm thinking it'd be better to have a
multicast IP tuner that can change channels, and then you could have two
with different source IP addresses which will keep them from
interfering, maybe.

If anyone wants, here's my Perl script for just pulling the TS file.
Saves you having VLC on a headless box. ^_^

#! /usr/bin/perl

# Record Billy & Mandy, and Hi Hi Puffy Yumi, twenty minutes from now
# sleep 1200; ./transgrab.pl 5 & sleep 3600; kill %1

use strict;
use warnings;

use IO::Interface;
use IO::Socket::Multicast;
use IO::File;

die "Need a channel number" unless @ARGV == 1;

my $output = new IO::File;
$output->open(">transact.ts") || die;

my $channel = $ARGV[0];
$channel += 90 if ($channel == 1 or $channel == 6);
my $sock = IO::Socket::Multicast->new(LocalPort=>8208);
my $chan = sprintf('239.193.0.%d', $channel);
print $chan, "\n";
$sock->mcast_add($chan, "rtl8139-0");

my $src;
my $buff;
my $i=0;

while ( defined( $src = $sock->recv($buff, 1316) ) ) {
	if ( length($buff) == 1316) {
		print "." if $i %5 == 0;
		($i = 0, print "\n") if $i++ > 390;
	} else {
		print "\nGot ".length($buff)." bytes\n";
		$i = 0;
	}
	#print "\t",unpack("H*", $src), "\n";
	print $output $buff;
}

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/