[clug] RE: MakeTheMove Website Demo

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Thu Sep 7 12:20:09 GMT 2006

On Thu, Sep 07, 2006 at 09:52:13PM +1000, Mike Carden wrote:
> My assertion is that if you need to pay someone for the tools required
> to make use of your data, then that someone has become a co-owner of
> your data. Without your money in their pocket, you cannot use your
> data.

Please don't use confusing terms. The term "to own" has a specific
legal meaning. Being able to restrict usage to something does not give
you any ownership rights. A security guard may be blocking all the
entrances to a building, but that doesn't give him any rights over it.

The phrase "limits access to" is much more accurate.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/