[clug] Software Engineering

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Sep 7 05:01:09 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-02 at 11:41 +1000, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Saturday 02 September 2006 09:46, Tarrant wrote:
> >  Yeah my maths is... mediocre. If I apply myself I'm a generally high
> > B-Grade student. When I don't I stoop as low as a bottom C in grades. While
> > I understand the maths, it takes me longer and much more practicality - or
> > rather practise of set questions and understanding different methods/styles
> > while using the same formulas.
> I'm not sure about Software Engineering, but engineering degrees are usually
> hell on people who can't do maths. (I did Elec Eng, at ADFA - basically a
> UNSW program - lots of smart people failed first year, mostly because of
> maths).

As someone who finished Software Engineering at ANU nearly 2 years ago,
I'll certainly agree.  I could have avoided electrical engineering, but
the degree requires up to 2nd year maths, and includes the algorithms
course.  I never 'enjoyed' maths at College, but I stayed in the AME
(top level, I forget the new name) maths course.  I needed it.

(I eventually continued in maths into 3rd year, finishing with Crypto,
at a credit level).  I only just passed algorithms...

Andrew Bartlett