[clug] Re: Linux on Laptops

Ian Bardsley ifb777 at tpg.com.au
Wed Sep 6 07:04:36 GMT 2006

Adrian Blake Wrote

/Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with installing and running
Linux on any of these machines. They are at the lower end of the market.

My daughter wants to purchase one and she has been brought up on Linux
for over 10 years. She is just a user, her only experience  with windoz
has been at high school.

Her main applications will be Openoffice, gimp, e-mail, browsing &
transferring music from CDs to her mp3 player.

Compaq v4407TU
toshiba satellite M50 M00
toshiba A100 HooNB
ACER 1642ZWLMi

viewing http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/ does not give precise
information on these models but reading between the lines suggest that
they will work. Before purchasing I hope to run a live Linux CD such as
Ubuntu on each.

Any other suggestions are welcome./

Adrian

Cant comment on items in your list but I have Ubuntu Dapper running well
on an "El Cheapo" Acer Aspire 3000 (sub $900) including wireless
networking.   I added  extra  512 meg of memory and the machine now is
quite slick for office  applications.

Only problem encountered in setup was that wide screen resolution wasn't
applied by default, but a simple tweak fixed the problem.

Hope this helps

regards

Ian Bardsley