[clug] Software Engineering

arafangion arafangion at fussycoder.id.au
Mon Sep 4 02:56:14 GMT 2006

Michael Tomkins wrote:
> On 03/09/2006, at 3:55 PM, Arafangion <arafangion at fussycoder.id.au>
> wrote:
>
>> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2006 14:14:46 +1000
>> From: Arafangion <arafangion at fussycoder.id.au>
>> Subject: Re: [clug] Software Engineering
>> To: steve jenkin <sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au>
>> Cc: linux at lists.samba.org
>>
>> steve jenkin wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>> Mikals' note about an anti-UC bias in town is somewhat true. I've heard
>>> this multiple times and had poor work performance from more than one UC
>>> grad myself :-( [CCAE *was* at the forefront of "ADP" in the late 60's
>>> and 70's - their "PIT" scheme with the Fed Govt created a pool of
>>> talent
>>> that still has tremendous impact.]
>>>

>> Keep in mind that most graduates of UC are _not_ engineers (I am
>> currently studing engineering at UC).
>> I have noticed a huge confusion between "Software Engineering" and
>> "Engineering in Software Engineering" at UC, perhaps this is a
>> contributing factor.  UC takes great pride in being "Practical", while
>> ANU is far more theoretical.  As it is today, if you want to do
>> Engineering in canberra, you really only have ANU to choose from.
>>
>> <snip>
>
> Please do not get confused by the bullshit Bachelor of Software
> Engineering at University of Canberra (Canb). It is the B.IT course
> with a fancy name.
> All Engineering courses ceased enrollment in 2004 with current
> students being taught out until 2007. The Australian Institute of
> Engineers WILL NOT ratify this degree for anything but associate
> membership (not a full member, no professional insurance) as it is a 3
> year degree and does not meet the math requirements.  The UC Students
> Association  (when I was a member) was opposed the branding of the
> degree. UC Students Association then smugly noted the sheer volume of
> pissed off students when they came to try and get professional
> recognition. This is endemic of the poor management of the BLIS
> Faculty which has a thicker than usual file at the UCSA for complaints
> and problems, which is ironic since this is the Business, Law and
> Information Sciences Faculty.
Yes, however in their sole credit, they did offer to allow existing
engineers to continue studying for our degree, rather than simply
kicking us out, and the AIE _will_ ratify this degree.  So, while the
degree is discontinued, those who signed up in or before 2004 can still
do it, provided we graduate in 2007. (But if we fail any single subject,
it's bye-bye, and we have to switch).