[clug] Software Engineering

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at svana.org
Fri Sep 1 13:22:25 GMT 2006

On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:07:03PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> The engineering degree covers all that, but also the hard stuff you'll
> not likely need to know: Advanced calculus and physics, elecronics
> engineering, all that stuff IEEE want in an engineering degree. It
> didn't seem to cover any more project management or any more programming
> than the IT degree. It's an extra year of study too.

I think the "engineering" part is more relevent once you start
attaching you programs to external hardware. If you want to write
programs for the space shuttle, you're going to need to be able
understand technical diagrams and the formulae that go with it. You
don't need to be able to calculate them, but you do need to be able to
read them.

Just like when you're controlling a medical robot, it's useful to be
able to understand the circuit diagram to assure yourself it's not
going to do something wierd under certain circumstances..

As long as your programs only involve other computers connected via
networks, it probably won't add much value.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog at svana.org>   http://svana.org/kleptog/