[clug] Some NSLU2 errata

Paul TBBle Hampson Paul.Hampson at Pobox.com
Fri Oct 27 09:53:36 GMT 2006

On Fri, Oct 27, 2006 at 12:01:20PM +1000, Robert Edwards wrote:
> Just wanted to "correct" some minor details in Michael's excellent
> Google/NSLU2 talk last night:

> 1) There are two versions of "Debian" for NSLU2 (as Michael said),
> but the one that Michael refers to as "Debian Unstable" is also
> the version that the NSLU2 folk call "DebianSlug" and it uses the
> standard Debian ARM packages (little endian and the .deb package
> format). The other Debian (big-endian) is called OpenDebianSlug,
> uses the ipkg package format and is (apparently) obsolete. It is
> based on OpenSlug (which also uses the ipkg repository).
> More details at:
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/HomePage ,
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/OpenSlug/HomePage and
> http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/DebianSlug/OpenDebianSlug

Just to follow up, since I raised it at the time, the Debian
instructions I was using that use the Debian-built kernel are
at [1].

However, since I did my slug, a note has been posted to say that
the current d-i NSLU2 kernel image isn't working, so I'd prolly
leave that alone for now...

I guess what you ended up with was DebianSlug anyway...

I have to say, I think I'd rather have my Debian in the flash
than hanging out the back on a hard disk, in 20:20 hindsight.

On the other hand, [1] mentions a different NIC driver under
development...

[1] http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson at Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/