[clug] Wireless keyboard key mapping

Paul Wayper paul.wayper at anu.edu.au
Fri Oct 27 01:31:57 GMT 2006

adam wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>> I haven't started but whats the procedure for mapping "multi-media"
>> key functions on keyboards?
>> Where is that done?
>> Note I want to use this keyboard primary with a MythTV box so do I
>> use a  X window / KDE function or is there another area I program the
>> "volume" play / Pause keys etc...
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul
> The Gentoo wiki page on multimedia keyboards
> (http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Use_Multimedia_Keys) is probably one of
> the best places to start.
In GNOME, I simply go to System -> Preferences -> Keyboard Shortcuts.
Then I choose the action I want, click in the shortcut field and press
the key.  It might come up as something like '0xef', but it'll probably
work.  This has worked for my Microsoft Natural Keyboard and my Logitec
Wireless Keyboard.

HTH,

Paul