[clug] high load

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Mon Oct 23 07:19:42 GMT 2006

On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Alex Satrapa wrote:

>> I expect it is disk IO so how do I check it and how do I work out what
>> process is responsible?
> The only way I'm aware of is to watch the process listings for programs that
> are in the 'D' state. Also keep an eye on 'vmstat 1' - it might show you

> AFAIK, there is not yet any way in Linux to discern which process is actually
> causing the high I/O apart from killing random processes and watching for the
> high I/O to stop.

I do remember reading something quite recently on tracing block device
access to a process (i.e. the "why is my laptop hard disk spinning up
/again/?" problem).

Can't find that, but here's a link covering this sort of thing:

http://lwn.net/Articles/155340/

I /think/ I read the more up-to-date article on lwn.net, but I'm not sure.

> Alex

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\