[clug] Internode: Does customer-to-customer data count to monthly total?

Neil Symons neil.symons at gmail.com
Fri Oct 6 10:19:36 GMT 2006

On 10/4/06, Paul Wayper <paulway at mabula.net> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> At the last CLUG meeting I shared with a couple of people my discovery
> that
> Internode does actually count downloads from other Internoders as part of
> your
> monthly downloads.  Everyone I spoke to reckoned this was false, so I
> queried
> them.  I thought I'd share the response, because if nothing else a few
> people
> might want to think about their downloading habits :-)
>
> [snip]

Most ISPs run their usage monitoring off RADIUS accounting (which is the
total traffic used in a session or periodic measurements from a login
session).

For an ISP to monitor usage between different peers, they would have to use
some form of IP accounting and with a bit of tricky work, either keep
customers on a static IP address or by leasing an IP address giving the
illusion that the IP given is dynamic so they can match IP records to a
specific customer login ID with some effort.

If you know of any other types of usage monitoring methods, please enlighten
us [especially me :-)  ]

--
Regards,

Neil Symons