[clug] Smallest laptop

Robert (Bob) Edwards bob at cs.anu.edu.au
Thu Nov 30 00:44:54 GMT 2006

Chris Smart wrote:
> Michael James wrote:
>> What's the smallest, lightest laptop that gives you
>>  at least 1024x768, wifi, and a typeable keyboard?
>>
>> Bonus points for Linux friendliness and good (simple) looks.
>>
> Make sure you check out:
> http://tuxmobil.org/mylaptops.html
>
> For details about Linux compatibility and your potential laptop.
>
> And _if_ you're a fan of Dell:
>
> Latitude D420
> 12.1" 1280 x 800
> 1.36KG
> 25.4mm (h) x 295mm (w) x 209.8mm (d)
>
> or something more beefy (2GHZ core duo)
>
> XPS  M1210
> 12" 1280 x 800
> 1.98kg
> 31.4mm (h) x 297.18mm (w) x 220.98 (d)
>
> -c

For what it is worth, we have a couple of Dell Latitude D420's here
running Ubuntu (Dapper and Edgy) with Core Duo CPUs with no problems.
They are light (1.36kg), wide-screen (1280x800) and have reasonable
battery life (possibly not as good as the Lenovo/IBM X60) and you can
get 8-cell batteries for them if you want the longer battery life.

And they are quite a bit cheaper than the prices listed for the others
in the October Australian Personal Computer mag.

Cheers,

Bob Edwards.